The next volunteer orientation will be held on Tuesday, September 9th at 5:00 pm in the Library's Community Room.
• Arrive 15 minutes early, space is limited to 20
• Bring completed volunteer application to orientation
Description: Have you ever wanted to unravel the mysteries of the Dewey Decimal System; learn how those books get put on the HOLDS shelf, or wondered how all those returned items get back on the shelf, exactly where they belong? Then volunteering as a Stacks Assistant is the job for you!
The Library has many wonderful opportunities for those who wish to commit to a minimum of 50 hours of volunteer service.
Volunteers are usually trained on one task at a time, over multiple volunteer sessions, but the satisfaction begins immediately. During each volunteer session, you will work one on one with staff in order to achieve competence in each level of training. The types of tasks include:
• Send List – mornings only, usually before the Library opens
• Shelf Reading – each of our 90K items belongs only in ONE place
• Shelving – we circulate over 500K items a year and more
• Shelf Checks – find those missing or misplaced items
• Clear Holds – people waiting for a book on HOLD will love you
Separately, these tasks may seem simple and non-consequential, but add them all together and you have made a tremendous impact on the ability of the Library to serve our Community – all while wearing a stunning red volunteer apron!
Skills: Attention to detail, ability to follow written and oral instructions, willingness to ask questions, work neatly and complete each task, communicate well with others, ability to work independently after training, enjoy complex concepts and many details
Physical Requirements: ability to stretch, bend, kneel, and push a cart.